Friday, May 2, 2008

Feeding Joshua

Call me a softy (some of you will not hesitate at all), but feeding Joshua has become one of my favorite things to do. There’s something deeply and yet so simply good about feeding another person. Of course this extends to having people over to dinner and other ways of sharing food, but there’s something special about feeding a baby who can’t feed himself. I don’t think I enjoyed feeding Joshua early on nearly as much as I do now. That might have something to do with the middle-of-the-night nature of those early feedings. Or it might be because I was quite sleep-deprived, especially during those first few weeks. (I know that Anna had it much worse than I did, but my sleep was much more spotty than it had ever been before). I also think that Joshua has become much more fun to feed as his personality has, well, arrived (or developed). Infants are adorable— don’t get me wrong. But in my limited experience, they don’t do all that much or express themselves very much at all. The occasional smile was usually a result of passed gas, or something to that effect. As Joshua has started to smile, respond, and babble, he has become a lot more fun. And that includes when he eats.

Today, for example, I fed him squash, cereal, banana/strawberry puree, and milk. I like to eat, but Joshua definitely wins our “enjoyment while eating” contest. Every spoonful he swallows, he emits this joyful “mmm,” after which he opens his mouth and waits, somewhat impatiently, for the next mouthful. Again, I am not a picky eater—there are very few things that I don’t like—but I can’t imagine trying to even fake that amount of ecstasy from a mouthful of squash (even if it was excellently prepared), let alone from the bland squash that seems to tickle Joshua’s palate. Anytime I need some reassurance, feeding Joshua fruit is sure to give it. And if I really needed a boost, all I would need to do is give him something with a little sugar and/or fat—French silk pie, ice cream, pudding, as hypothetical examples—and I would immediately feel like the most wonderful person in the world. Or at least like the person who wields the most amazing spoon in the world.

2 comments:

Anna White said...

You are cute. i don't think those were all hypothetical examples...

Jaclyn said...

I love hearing your take on just about anything - your views are unique and your word choice always articulate. Who knew that "here comes the airplane" could turn into any entire thought? Glad Joshua is around. Can't imagine your family without him now. Glad too that you have a blog- can't wait to see what you have to say.