Monday, February 9, 2009

Running

Warning: Yes, this post is really about running. I apologize if it bores you intensely. At least this is my third post this month!

Today I ran 4.5 miles. Since I haven't run consistently for over a month, I've been taking it pretty easy. When I went this morning, it was 39 degrees and it was wonderful. Still a little too cold, but much better than it has been this winter. I really love running and am looking forward to warmer weather.

I know for some people, running (or working out) is a time for reflection/pondering/etc. Some people think through what they need to do that day and make a mental schedule. I think those are great reasons to run, but it's not how it works for me. When I'm running, I focus on running. I love thinking about the pace I'm holding, paying attention to how my legs feel, pushing myself (or just enjoying a recovery day). When I'm running a lot, it helps me get more done in my other pursuits. But, for me, running isn't something I do to be more efficient through the rest of my day or to lose weight or to relieve stress. Sure, when I do run, those things fall into place, but that isn't why I do it.

I've also noticed that running is best when it's over 20 miles a week. In all honesty, it's even better for me when it's over 40 miles a week (above 50 is great too). I've run as much as 75 miles in week (and over 60 quite a few times), and I might get there again sometime. But, I'll need to train a little more intelligently this time around. Last time, I pushed myself a little too hard--too many miles/too fast racing--and I couldn't run for about a month (or walk for a week).

I would love to be able to run 40-60 miles a week consistently. But it comes down to balance and discipline. For that reason, I'm not sure if I'll ever really find out how fast I could run a marathon or a half-marathon, and that's okay. But I would like to run a marathon under 2:50 in the next few years. I'm sure I could go faster, but for now, that's a good goal. Now it's out in the open and you can ask me how it's going.

5 comments:

Bart said...

Sounds like you know what you want. A time under 2:50 would be impressive, to say the least, even if you don't feel like it's the best you could possibly do.

emily sparks said...

you make me feel like a whimp! thanks for running with me brother!

ego non said...

Do you cross-train?

Anna White said...

Hope you don't mind if I leave an extra little comment here too... I get lots of points for extra blog comments... I am trying to win this awesome scrapbook desk at The EZ desk Giveaway vote for it if you have a minute!! :)

kanishk said...

you don't feel like it's the best you could possibly do.
home jobs without registration